034552697X 1st/1st, First Edition, First Printing with full number line. Very Good. Light shelf wear to covers/corners; satisfaction guaranteed. Hardcover with Dust Jacket under mylar. Earthlight Books is a family owned and operated, independent bookstore serving Walla Walla, Washington since 1973.
Two modern masters of military history make their case for the twenty most pivotal battles of all time, in a riveting trip through the ages to those moments when the fate of the world hung in the balance.
In the grand tradition of Edward Creasy's classic" Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World, " James Lacey and Williamson Murray spotlight only those engagements that changed the course of civilization. In gripping narrative accounts they bring these conflicts and eras to vivid life, detailing the cultural imperatives that led inexorably to the battlefield, the experiences of the common soldiers who fought and died, and the legendary commanders and statesmen who matched wits, will, and nerve for the highest possible stakes.
From the great clashes of antiquity to the high-tech wars of the twenty-first century, here are the stories of the twenty most consequential battles ever fought, including
- Marathon, where Greece's "greatest generation" repelled Persian forces three times their numbers--and saved Western civilization in its infancy
- Adrianople, the death blow to a disintegrating Roman Empire
- Trafalgar, the epic naval victory that cemented a century of British supremacy over the globe
- Saratoga, the first truly "American" victory, won by united colonial militias, which ensured the ultimate triumph of the Revolution
- Midway, the ferocious World War II sea battle that broke the back of the Japanese navy
- Dien Bien Phu, the climactic confrontation between French imperial troops and Viet Minh rebels that led to American intervention in Vietnam and marked the rise of a new era of insurgent warfare
- Operation Peach, the perilous 2003 mission to secure a vital bridge over the Euphrates River that would open the way to Baghdad
Historians and armchair generals will argue forever about which battles have had the most direct impact on history. But there can be no doubt that these twenty are among those that set mankind on new trajectories. Each of these epochal campaigns is examined in its full historical, strategic, and tactical context--complete with edge-of-your-seat you-are-there battle re-creations. With an eye for the small detail as well as the bigger picture, Lacey and Murray identify the elements that bind these battles together: the key decisions, critical mistakes, and moments of crisis on which the fates of entire civilizations depended.
Some battles merely leave a field littered with the bodies of the fallen. Others transform the map of the entire world. "Moment of Battle" is history written with the immediacy of today's news, a magisterial "tour d'horizon" that refreshes our understanding of those essential turning points where the future was decided.
A MAIN SELECTION OF THE HISTORY BOOK CLUB AND THE MILITARY BOOK CLUB
"Two world-class historians present, eloquently and persuasively, twenty battles that fundamentally changed the course of history. "Moment of Battle" is a "must "acquisition for anyone seeking to understand the nature of human development--and its turning points."--Dennis E. Showalter, professor of history, Colorado College, author of "Armor and Blood"
"In a single volume, James Lacey and Williamson Murray have distilled a lifetime of learning and insight into the most influential battles in world history. This is a readable and compelling primer and a feast for the student of military history."--James D. Hornfischer, author of "Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal"